Jimmie Brown, who has served as the Chief of Police for the Cal State San Bernardino Campus Police Department for the past seven years, has announced his plans to retire at the end of December, 2014.
“I’m truly sad to see Chief Brown go,” said Doug Freer, the CSUSB vice president for Administration and Finance. “I know I speak for the campus community when I say that he has done an outstanding job for the campus and in his tireless support of our local communities.
Brown, who has more than 40 years’ experience in law enforcement, joined the CSUSB police department 10 years ago, starting as a police officer and promoting to the position of chief of police on April 18, 2008.
“Chief Brown has long been one of CSUSB’s leading citizens and an incredible advocate for the university,” said President Tomás D. Morales. “It has been a privilege to work alongside Jimmie during my tenure on campus and wish him and his family all the best.”
While serving as police chief, Brown’s accomplishments include:
• Consolidating dispatch services for the police departments of CSUSB, Chaffey Community College, Riverside Community College and Cal State Bakersfield.
• Implementing a police explorer program involving students from local school districts throughout the Inland Empire.
• Building a university police department of professional sworn officers, non-sworn personnel, parking officers, community service officers, police chaplains, and police explorers.
• Building relationships with the CSUSB community, the local communities, business’ owners, community colleges, school districts, fellow CSU police chiefs, law enforcement executives nationwide and various police organizations and associations.
• Serving as a mentor and coach to help law enforcement officers succeed and be promoted through the ranks within their organizations.
Prior to joining Cal State San Bernardino, Brown served with various agencies that included the Rialto Police Department, Colton Police Department, Riverside County Sheriff’s Department and the California Alcohol Beverage Control agency. As a teenager, he served as a police explorer with the San Bernardino Police Department.
Brown attended Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, majoring in workforce development and education. He also attended the Center of Creative Leadership Academy in San Diego.
He is a member of numerous national and regional law enforcement organizations and has been honored by many of them, including being named the 2010 Campus Safety Director of the Year national award by Campus Safety Magazine, which recognizes public safety officers at school, universities and hospitals who go above and beyond the call of duty, demonstrating outstanding leadership skills, ingenuity, selflessness and overall achievement.
Brown has been married to his wife, Robin Brown, for 12 years. They have two daughters.