Approximately 60,000 young children are brought to the emergency room each year because they got into medicines that were left within reach. Are all of the medicines in your home stored safely? Any medicine or vitamin can be dangerous if taken in the wrong way or by the wrong person, even medicine you buy without a prescription (known as over-the-counter medicines). Walk around your home and find the best place to store medicines up and away and out of sight of young children.
Never leave medicines out on a kitchen counter or at a sick child’s bedside, even if you have to give the medicine again in a few hours. Always put every medicine and vitamin away every time you use it, including those you use every day. Make sure the safety cap is locked.
Always relock the safety cap on medicine bottles. If the medicine has a locking cap that turns, twist it until you hear the “click” or until you can’t twist anymore. Remember, even though many medicines and vitamins have safety caps, children may be able to open them, so store all medicines up and away and out of sight.
It’s important to teach your children what medicine is and why you or another caregiver must be the one to give it to them. Never tell your children medicine is candy, even if they don’t like to take their medicine.
Always remind guests to keep purses, bags, or coats that have medicines in them up and away and out of sight when they’re in your home.
Program the national Poison Help number, 1-800-222-1222, along with other emergency-contact numbers into your cell phone.